SPAM, JUNK, AND UNWANTED SUBSCRIPTION EMAILS… OH MY!
These types of emails are frustrating and time-wasters. Some are downright dangerous.
Usually the emails are from scammers trying to get your personal information. At the very least, if you respond, they now have your email address to use for scamming others.
The worst are the Ransomware and Sextortion emails.
SPAM or PHISHING emails come in many forms;
- Commercial advertisements
- Money Scams
- Email Spoofing (mimicking legitimate email addresses)
- Virus warning or computer repair scams
- Unclaimed Prizes or Monies scams
These emails are difficult to stop but not impossible. Our Barracuda Spam server filters out a lot that never get to you.
However, there are other ways you can guard yourself and prevent headaches in the future.
What to look for:
- If it is in your “Junk” folder it probably is junk but sometimes wanted emails do end up there. Send the address to the Helpdesk so it can be resolved.
True email address?
It looks like it is coming from someone you know but the email address is wrong.
Most SPAM is sent in bulk, so it will not be personalized.
Is the sender asking you to do something right away or as soon as possible? Are there grammatical errors?
Links to click on?
To download a file or update your information to an account. (hold your mouse pointer over the address and see if the link is legit)
Here’s what you should do!
Check the email. Usually at the bottom of the email there will be an “Unsubscribe” link. If you do not wish to receive these emails anymore, pleaseunsubscribe from their list.
All other suspicious emails
- Check the sender’s email address.
- Do not click on any link that is not legit.
- Do Not Respond to suspected emails.
Forward the email to the helpdesk if you have any doubts.
DO YOUR PART:
You can use Outlook options to block junk email & SPAM. This can assist with minimizing
the amount of spam and unwanted emails you see in your Inbox.
Right-mouse click on the known email and navigate to “Junk”
A side menu will pop-up and give you the option to Block Sender